If you are a collector of contemporary art, and want to find the best alternative art fair in North America this year, we have compiled a list for you. Find out what they are below!
1) Art Chicago- This alternative art fair has been taking place since 1974 and is one of the largest alternative arts events in the world. Find it at Navy Pier.
2) Frieze New York- The 2019 edition will be held from October 3rd-6th, with an expected attendance of over 90 thousand people! Find it on Randall’s Island Park.
3) Kochi Biennale – Held every two years in India since 1996, this event showcases global contemporary artists through exhibitions that take place in the city of Kochi. Find it in India.
4) Frieze London- Find this alternative art fair every year in October and November in Regent’s Park.
The most important part of any art fair is the artists, says Muminkaffe. Find out where to find them at these five alternative North American events this year:
- The Toronto Outdoor Art Fair (July 14 – July 23)
- New York’s Outlier Projects (September 16 – September 30)
- San Francisco International Arts Festival (October 13th – October 21st)
- Portland’s Springtime in the Pearl District Festival(April 18th – April 22nd)
- Washington DC’s Third Space Initiative Exhibition and Sale Series 2017, running from January through November.
Find out what the people are saying about this alternative art fair on our website.
“I had such a great time at Frieze London and I can’t wait to go back!”- Kim, Artist
“The artwork was really cool and it’s amazing that so many artists came together in one place.” – Emily, Collector of Contemporary Art
The question we hear most often is “Who has the Best Alternative Art Fairs.” Sometimes people ask us, ‘Where can I find an awesome exhibition?’ Others say they want access to some really great shows. If it’s something specific like “What should I look for at The Armory Show?”, then please get in touch! You’ll find a variety of things that make this event the best alternative art fair in North America.
What makes a good exhibition?
In the art world, it’s often subjective and all about what you like. For some people, a good exhibition is one that has a lot of paintings on display; for others it might be sculptures or photography instead.
There’s no right or wrong answer.
Other alternative art fair in North America this year with these five top picks:
- The Venice Biennale
- Sculpture by the Sea, Sydney
- Art Toronto (formerly The AGO Art Fair)
- Frieze New York City
- KIAF – International Arts and Crafts Festival of Korea.
Find out more about what makes a good exhibition here. And then visit our website to find your perfect gallery experience!
What is your favorite international event?
The best alternative art fairs are located all over the world. The annual Frieze London, for example, is held in Regent’s Park and offers various venues of varying sizes to accommodate an impressive range of artists. However, there aren’t any US alternatives that come close to this level of prestige or size which may be one reason why “the contemporary market in New York still follows Europe” according to experts such as Alexandra Schwartz at Artspace who also notes that no traditional American galleries have been able to compete with established European ones since they were founded decades ago. Meanwhile, international events like Maison&Objet Paris (Europe) and Scotiabank (Canada) offer a more professional, polished experience to visitors and have become the international go-to for buyers.
How to Find an Alternative Art Fair:
Find a Show Near You Now! Search by Date and Location on our Map. Start at the top of your desired area, review each show for dates and locations. There are so many different art fairs across North American that it can be difficult to choose which one will work best with your schedule or budget.
The key is to get out there and explore what’s available from coast to coast. We have curated over 150+ alternative art shows throughout Canada & USA just waiting for you!. Picture this scenario. you’re driving through Texas when all of a sudden the billboard says “now hiring at Art Dallas.” You check your map and find that there’s a show in Houston next week; you then make plans to head over to our website, look up events near me, scroll through your options until you find one.
Picture this scenario:
You’re driving through Texas when all of a sudden the billboard says “now hiring at Art Dallas.” You check your map and find that there’s a show in Houston next week; you then make plans to head over to our website, look up events near me, scroll through your options until you find one.